Saturday, April 30, 2011

Current Veggies at East Texas Produce

Well, well! Good news! Spring is in full swing. My friend at the East Texas Produce on HWY 31 says their crops were not negatively effected by the tornados OR drought. They have a drip irrigation system, and apparently the strong winds may have done more good by sweeping away the bugs! That's her husbands theory at least.

This time around:
Yellow squash
Cabbage (discounted to 29 cents a pound!)
Sweet potatoes
Eggs
Onions
CORN (from San Antone)
Tomatoes
Broccoli

She said there will be even more stuff coming in the next two weeks. Texas cantaloupes and watermelons will be making their debut. She said her personal farm will have tons of okra and heirloom tomatoes as well. I can't wait!

I realized that when attempting to eat completely local several problems arise. I eat a lot of the same thing. However, I also reflect back on what I ate when I WASN'T trying to eat local.... and I still ate a lot of the same thing! The same cereal, same sandwich, same mac-n-cheese/spaghetti, grilled chicken w/ veggies, you get it!

To eliminate this problem I'm experimenting with different recipes. Not just different recipes but creating a kind of standard cultural dish. When we think about traditional Southern food, it's steak and eggs, chicken-friend steak, mashed potatoes, BBQ, potato salad and cole slaw, that's really about it! We surround ourselves with potatoes (in all sorts of forms) because they grow so well here. I don't want to eat cole-slaw all the time... just because I just don't.

I look at what we think of as the traditional Tex-Mex meal. Something with rice and beans. This is great because 1) purple hull peas grow here and 2) Texas actually does grow rice (Try TexMati, they sell it at Fresh). I don't eat meat anymore so I'm pretty much set there.

I've been thinking about how to incorporate the cabbage on an everyday basis (other than cole-slaw). In many various Asian dishes, cabbage and carrots are put into the rice (much like corn, peppers or tomatoes are in Mexican dishes). Today sautéed some cabbage and onion together and had a "wilty salad" along with my rice and beans. Once the peppers start coming in I think this dish will be irresistible and heartily welcomed as a staple to my diet.

As other veggies rotate in and out of season I'm sure more ideas will as well. Canned things are good too, as I did add some local Peach Salsa made in Gun Barrel that I bought at Brookshires a while back.


4 comments:

  1. Hello lady! I am curious if you are eliminating meat for personal or availability reasons? I know I can get local lamb and beef in San Antonio, but I wouldn't know about your area.

    Also, your post reminded me about this cookbook I want to get for myself called 'Plenty' - it's a compilation of vegetarian dishes that sound really good, but different and new to most Americans. There's a recipe I saw him make on the Martha Stewart show called Green Couscous - I am making it this week b/c it looked so good!

    You have a birthday coming up this summer, so if you take a look at the links and think you might be interested just let me know and I will send you one!

    http://www.amazon.com/Plenty-Vibrant-Recipes-Londons-Ottolenghi/dp/1452101248/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304277441&sr=8-1

    http://www.marthastewart.com/341798/green-couscous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also! Kyle's garden is on its third year (and I'm on my first this summer), and I will talk to him and see if we can send you anything if we have excess from the garden.. I wonder if we can send it there in one piece and in good condition! I figure Lubbock local is about the same as San Antonio local so I hope that would be okay. I will let you know if Kyle thinks it's do-able.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ally~ Hey girl! We need to catch up :) I would love any veggies that you're willing to send me, though hopefully I can make a trip out there soon? Leilani's having a baby shower soon so I'm hoping to make it to that. We shall see!
    I am not eating meat any more for personal reasons. Mostly because according to this book i read I can reduce my carbon footprint more by being a vegetarian SUV-driver than a meat-eating prius driver. I can't afford the new ride yet, but I can afford to eat rice and beans :) Plus I've always had that guilt about animals (mostly mammals) being conscious beings and eating them. Though I don't know if they have feelings like we do... I know I wouldn't eat my pets :/ But I love eggs and cheese so much I can't commit to more than vegetarianism.
    You do not need to get me a present! I didn't get you on so it's not fair! I will check out the links tho.. Perhaps we can make a phone date soon?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good! Anytime that is good for you! But I still want to know what you think of that cookbook.

    ReplyDelete