Today I dropped by the East Texas Produce Market on Hwy 31 here in Tyler, and was excited to buy the following:
1 head Lettuce
1 head Broccoli
4Gala Apples
4 New Crop Tomatoes
4 huge Grapefruit
1 dozen Local eggs
(all for $12.. you can't ask for better, seriously)
How exciting! They also had plenty of sweet potatoes and sweet yellow onions, but I already had some from the last time I went.
All of these things are Texas grown, and the owners are in direct contact with the farms that they buy from, so according to the lady that runs the market- they're legit! So that is exciting!
The highlight of the experience though was the brief conversation I had with the girl who rang me up at the register. She said, "oh, these tomatoes are AWESOME!" I responded, "Oh yeah? The last ones I bought a couple weeks ago were pretty good too!" What came next was a sort-of coy grin as she tilted her chin inward, looking over her invisible glasses and said, "oh... these are even better!"
If you're getting the image that she was giving me the bedroom eyes, then good! It was exactly like that! I'm not saying that she was hitting on me, but the passion that she had about these tomatoes was... very apparent! This isn't the first time I have encountered a passionate opinion about tomatoes in East Texas. I think it's a love-affair each of us country bumpkins has.
My brain/heart has many a'memory stored of summer tomato love. I can remember going out to my Grandaddy's cousin's house and sitting on the porch slicing into a tomato to test it out. I can remember going down to the garden my family and I made on the farm, my Pawpaw slicing a home-grown with his pocket knife to share between us. I can remember at least once that I took a salt-shaker down to that garden, so I could sprinkle the red deliciousness, and let the juice run down my hands, arms and face. Nothing could be better in a hot, sticky, July heat.
So, it wasn't an alarming experience, this encounter with the cashier lady with this almost devilish grin selling me these tomatoes. They are probably so good their sinful. And I can't wait to try them!
PS- the Gala apples were the crispest I've had from anywhere this year! They were so sweet! I'll probably have to go back and get more this week because I'll eat them to quickly!
No comments:
Post a Comment