On 31 and the East Loop, East Texas Produce has quiet a few things to offer. There's a lot of plants you can buy, and they have their own farm. They offer the following:
Cheddar cheese (I'm not sure where it's from, not their farm though)
Local eggs
Sweet potatoes
Onions
Apples
Peas and Beans
Cabbage
Local canned items- too many to list really! Jam & Jellies and canned veggies, salsas, etc.
They will be offering more things: peppers, okra, squash.. as they come in. They also sell a large variety of pumpkins and other winter squash in the fall!
The greatest thing is everything is decently priced! I think the potatoes are the same price as what Brookshires is! The lady who owns the farm runs the stand with her family. She did mention that she has non-english speaking workers on her land. I will have to inquire more about that and see if they are legal or not. I personally don't mind if they are illegal, but I think they should be getting paid fairly. I used to teach ESL (English as a Second Language) to some Spanish-speaking only students. I remember Carlota (name changed of course) telling me about the lengthy process of getting citizenship. She said she had been on 'the list' for ten years. Her husband had acquired citizenship and worked in a factory for 16 hours every day, without weekends. He only came to class probably 3 times, because he was always tired or working. Oh, and he was probably 55 years old too. You know, the age that many people start thinking about slowing down and retiring in the next 10 years. He was working harder than any dog I've ever seen.
As I step off my soap box, I will add that I am not boycotting Brookshires. They have a Texas Goat cheese that is fabulous! They also sometimes have Jacksonville Tomatoes.
Also, they offer Lamb's Stone Ground Yellow Corn Meal, which makes EXCELLENT corn bread!
More later...
No comments:
Post a Comment