I am going to start eating locally. From this point on, I am only going to eat local foods or foods that I already have. For instance, I just bought a bunch of rice and dried beans the other day. I'm allowed to use the spices and whatever else I already have, because wasting food would be really dumb!
The goal here is a Julie&Julia styled blog about my inevitable struggles and sacrifices about eating locally, as well as a directory where I do find local foods. I am allowed eating at restaurants with friends, as this promotes fellowship. We normally eat at locally owned businesses anyway (with the exception of Julie and my Braum's ice cream run, which I may allow once a month).
As much as I can I will NOT go to either Wal-mart or Brookshires, though if I can't get anything to eat otherwise, I will. I still intend on eating healthily, which includes fruits and vegetables.
Though I see this as very individually beneficial, I hope you join my journey as well. Local farmers need help.
An extension of this project is my commitment to not buy anything new for myself. For example, I cannot buy new clothes (and haven't for... a long time!), but I can buy something from Goodwill. The same goes for books, music, kitchen items, etc. (I can buy new soap though!) The purpose here is not only to save money, but to lessen what goes into the landfill.
One of the hardest sacrifices will be not going to Starbucks for a cup of tea. The tea is not local. The business is not local. The local coffee shops are not open past like 7pm. I don't know how long this will last, but I'm willing to find out!
Tomorrow after church I'll be stopping by a local stand to get some vegetables. Side-goal: find out where I can get local milk and eggs!
Could you source tea from a Texan, maybe order online or is that not allowed? Have you quit coffee?
ReplyDeleteOnly if the tea is from Texas! This brings up an interesting question though:
ReplyDeleteHow local is local?
I have not quit coffee, but I am "almost quit". I got some for Christmas, so when that runs out I will be done with it. :/ Sad day, huh?! :P P.s. I miss u!
Lady, you are braver than I. I don't think I could ever give up coffee. Food, coffee and wine - my vices! I guess the tea has to be grown here? Or just processed here? That would be a challenge to find out either way. I will ask my coffee buds and see if they know anything about Texas-local teas.
ReplyDeleteFor me when I think local I probably think regionally but I'm obviously tempted to think state-wide.. I guess it's a Texan thing :P
Miss you too! We should seriously have a phone date!